Bert E.: You have to be really careful when you speak of Greek democracy. About 80 % of the populace in ancient Greece was a slave and could not vote EVER. And from that remaining 20 % only about a quarter of those not slaves allowed to vote.
Carl: “Freedom” seems to have largely replaced it [liberty] sometime in the last century, but without so far doing excessive harm to clarity of public policy discussion. Hmmm. I think we may have a difference of opinion on what exactly constitutes excessive harm to clarity.
Slumlord: The real issue here is who exactly is “middle class”. A middle class income does not make a middle class person.
Toddy Cat: This guy creates a mildly amusing comic, and all of a sudden, he thinks he’s Herman Kahn. Who cares what a guy who can’t even draw a cat thinks the future will be like? It’s like getting foreign policy advice from Dave Barry (which might actually be happening even as we speak)…
Toddy Cat: I’m hoping for a yes vote because all the Usual Suspects are against it, and whatever the transnational elite wants these days, I want the opposite.
Carl: Yes, in theory an independent Scotland could have rational government, but in practice an independent Scotland would be more likely to go full Leftard. Everybody knows you never go full Leftard.
Cassander: Before 100 or so years ago, was there any country that didn’t have a warrior aristocracy?
Rollory: There are reasons why nations with a warrior aristocracy tend to be able to impose upon those around them.
Barnabas: It looks very likely that we get South American style communism along with a Hugo Chavez type populist leftist dictator in my lifetime.
Toddy Cat: “It’s probably as close as we can realistically get to communism” I have a sickening feeling we’re going to get a lot closer.