Rollory: I remember seeing Jon Liebowitz (Stewart) talking about how progressive values have been advancing “throughout history”. He gave examples going back to the late 1800s. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion it doesn’t matter whether he knows what’s wrong with that argument or not.
bob sykes: Peter Turchin seems to be filling in the hole.
Rollory: Yes. The hand-waving he does to make some of his various imperial time periods be of comparable length is a forgiveable approximation in light of the useful points it allows him to highlight.
Isegoria: I didn’t realize that the last sword duel in France was fought in 1967. Zut alors! Socialist politician Gaston Defferre insulted René Ribière, got challenged, and then won.
Grasspunk: It is like watching fencing, then watching old duels with real swords. When the weapons are real the combatants are more distant and go only for forearm hits.
Marc Pisco: I hadn’t thought of it that way, but that’s alarmingly true.
Toddy Cat: If this doesn’t describe the modern West today, I don’t know what does. I had only heard of Glubb as the commander of the Arab Legion — Hell, this guy was a genius!
Steve Johnson: Circa 99% of the time this is a very good thing. The other 1%, though, gives us communities like “The Red Pill,” the misogynist hate site which became infamous after Elliot Rodger’s killing spree in Santa Barbara earlier this year. I like this one. It’s so easily seen as contrary to reality. Elliot Rodgers was a member of “puahate” — a site dedicated to claiming that the “red pill” is a lie. Elliot Rodgers was fanatically dedicated to the idea that women...
Keith Higginbotham: This is great, with one correction. Maj. Mike Grimm commanded B Company 229 AHB. I was a young Sgt. serving when he took command. He was a great officer.