James James: Sturgeon’s Law: most people in favour of Scottish independence are morons; most people against Scottish independence are morons. So you can’t just look at what the morons want and do the opposite. On the “No” side we have the united British establishment. I have not heard a single public figure in England call for independence. On the “Yes” side, in Scotland, apart from the SNP we have a rag-bag of communists: Greens, poets, etc. From a strategic point of...
James James: So the US and the UK are “majority middle-class”, democratic, and doing just fine? This “majority middle-class” criterion is not enough to stop people from extracting short-term value from the state at the expense of long-term value.
Lucklucky: A very interesting text, but it fails because he doesn’t understand the nature of the “Middle Class”. Here in Portugal the Middle Class is vain enough that it wants to be the Aristocracy — entitled — and the fast way to get Aristocratic privileges — rights that others pay for — is to vote Socialist.
Wrath: I understand the black sheep and the odd year effect, but is there a corresponding “white sheep” effect? Celebrities and Noveaux Riches that buck the system?
JS: I think Obama marks the turning point from when the country is ruled by the middle class to being ruled by the lower class. Aristotle said that democracy ruled by the middle class is best, but usually ends up being rule by the poor. Toqueville said the same thing.
Bert E.: You have to be really careful when you speak of Greek democracy. About 80 percent of the populace in ancient Greece was a slave and could not vote ever. And from that remaining 20 percent only about a quarter of those not slaves were allowed to vote.
Carl: “Freedom” seems to have largely replaced it [liberty] sometime in the last century, but without so far doing excessive harm to clarity of public policy discussion. Hmmm. I think we may have a difference of opinion on what exactly constitutes excessive harm to clarity.
Slumlord: The real issue here is who exactly is “middle class”. A middle class income does not make a middle class person.
Toddy Cat: This guy creates a mildly amusing comic, and all of a sudden, he thinks he’s Herman Kahn. Who cares what a guy who can’t even draw a cat thinks the future will be like? It’s like getting foreign policy advice from Dave Barry (which might actually be happening even as we speak)…
Toddy Cat: I’m hoping for a yes vote because all the Usual Suspects are against it, and whatever the transnational elite wants these days, I want the opposite.